Monday, June 28, 2010

Officer Shoots Dog During Disturbance Call

From 10 TV News

A dog was recovering from a gunshot wound Monday after police said an officer was forced to open fire while responding to a disturbance call in the area. It happened Sunday night near an apartment complex along South High Street.
Police said the officer was responding to a disturbance call and walked through a gate when Chopper, a 92-pound pit bull-boxer mix, ran at him, 10TV's Patrick Bell reported.
The officer then shot the dog, police said.
"And that's when the policeman drew his gun.  I'm yelling not to shoot my dog," said Chopper's owner, Debbie Latimer.  "Then he shot once, he shot twice, and then my dog hit the ground."
Latimer said the bullet went through Chopper's left shoulder and lodged itself in his right side.  The dog has no feeling in his hind legs and had been under heavy sedation since being shot, Bell reported.
The officer who shot the dog was not identified, but police said he would face a firearms review board, which is standard anytime a weapon is used.
Animal Control officers cited Latimer on four charges after the incident, including failure to contain, failure to license, no rabies vaccination and no insurance, Bell reported.

2 comments:

  1. I have been fortunate enough to have been the custodian of dogs of different sizes and breeds but I have to say I am afraid of Pit Bull dogs. I also have to admit this is purely from stories and information I've received from others, things I've read and things I've seen on TV, not about the dogs but the way many owners have behaved. Such as training them to fight, abusing them or treating them as if they are a weapon. I have met only 2 Pit Bulls in my 42 years and they were both very gentle. I'm also afraid of Rottweilers. I'm not fond of the idea of having a pet with the ability to kill me or a family member. With that said, I don't think it's fair to punish a dog for having an irresponsible owner. I also don't think it's ok to enter someone's private residence without announcement and shoot the dog for doing what it's supposed to do instinctively which is protect its family. Right now I have a toy Pomeranian (my first toy breed of dog) and even he at 6 pounds and 4 years will defend me to the death if he thinks I'm being threatened. Just because I'm afraid of something doesn't give me the right to eliminate it. For Peet's sake, cars kill people every day. So shouldn't the police be out there shooting cars on the freeway?! My heart goes out to Miss Latimer& Chopper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fortunate enough to have been the custodian of dogs of different sizes and breeds but I have to say I am afraid of Pit Bull dogs. I also have to admit this is purely from stories and information I've received from others, things I've read and things I've seen on TV, not about the dogs but the way many owners have behaved. Such as training them to fight, abusing them or treating them as if they are a weapon. I have met only 2 Pit Bulls in my 42 years and they were both very gentle. I'm also afraid of Rottweilers. I'm not fond of the idea of having a pet with the ability to kill me or a family member. With that said, I don't think it's fair to punish a dog for having an irresponsible owner. I also don't think it's ok to enter someone's private residence without announcement and shoot the dog for doing what it's supposed to do instinctively which is protect its family. Right now I have a toy Pomeranian (my first toy breed of dog) and even he at 6 pounds and 4 years will defend me to the death if he thinks I'm being threatened. Just because I'm afraid of something doesn't give me the right to eliminate it. For Peet's sake, cars kill people every day. So shouldn't the police be out there shooting cars on the freeway?! My heart goes out to Miss Latimer& Chopper.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions.
Be advised that comments are moderated. Not for views, but for content.
Profanity, personal attacks, and spam within comments will result in your comment being rejected.
I, personally, love Pit Bulls as well as all dogs and most animals.
If your comment differs from my feelings or opinions, I will post it anyway, providing it does not include any of the three exceptions listed above.
Same goes for comments that are in harmony with my opinions.
Thank you for participating.