Friday, September 17, 2010

Board declares three pit bulls 'dangerous, vicious,' fines owner

By Barry Cleveland, Carmi Times

Crossville's Village Board dealt Tuesday night with nuisances of different kinds-weeds and dangerous dogs.
The board voted unanimously to declare three pit bull dogs owned by a resident of Richards Street "dangerous and vicious," implementing a village ordinance that provides for keeping the animals in custody until their owner (who was not publicly named Tuesday night) pays a fine of $500 per dog.
And it was assured by Mayor Henry Feldmann that, contrary to the claims made by Larry Harrison of Ingram Street in a letter to the editor of The Times published last week, the village is neither "singling him out" nor "picking on him" for allowing weeds to grow around his property.
The details:
Wayne Spicer, the village animal control officer, said the Richards Street resident in question has five pit bulls. He has received two signed complaints about the dogs running loose and threatening people, as well as a verbal complaint from a woman who found the dogs in her garage, eating her cat food, and ignored her efforts to shoo them away.
Trustee Larry Joe Ridenour added that some of the dogs have chased one of his family members, as well.
Spicer said he caught one of the dogs Monday and fought off two more. He summoned Dustin Boren, the village police officer, to help him subdue and capture those, and he now has three in custody.
The animal control officer described the three dogs in custody as "very vicious" and added that the owner has been issued citations for the same offense before, with payment of the fines due Sept. 22.
Several village officials expressed fear that one or more of the dogs may harm local residents, if allowed to run loose again. The mayor said he'll check with Brian Shinkle, the village attorney, about the steps available to the board. But in the meantime, the trustees voted 6-0 to declare the three dogs in custody "dangerous and vicious" and to fine the owner $500 each.
Turn to Thursday's print and e-Editions of The Times for the complete story.

2 comments:

  1. Hello I am the owner of these three vicious dangerious animals. First of all I agree that this is my fault allthough they are a handfull. The three are named Lilly who is the mother of the other two named Adolf and Orson. Lilly is a two years old and the boys just turned a year. I have recently divorced my abusive husband and am now living alone as he was sentanced to prison. Im not tryng to make excuses but I have tried to take steps to keep them from getting loose. I have a 6 foot privacy fence around the whole bak yard and after they figured how to dig out i installed a low voltage electric wire around the bottom. I know that may sound harsh but i also tried chaining them up within the fence and Orson almost hung himself it was awful. Anyways the article states that the dog catcher "fought off 2 others" this is a complete lie the 2 were Adolf and Orson and they were inside the fence when the dog catcher came to get them. Lilly should be name Houdini i still havent figured out how she was getting out short of climing a boat on to a shed, up on the garage and over the fence!? But that day she had climed the chainlink fence surrounding the meter where the meter man had left the gate open that AM. I just wanted to try and explain that I love these dogs like my children i bottle fed the boys and they have never biten anyone and are definately not dangerious unless you can be killed by excessive doggie kisses. The city councel declared them vicious and dangerious without ever seing them and have no animal training whatsoever problem is a couple of the board members actually live on my block its all politics and they have tried to declare specific breads dangerious in 2007 which we know is illegal and the ordinance was repealed. I have appealed thier decision and have an appointment with the mayor on friday if anyone out there can help me we would appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts. I will not let these dogs be put to sleep they do not deserve it I should be punished but if i dont take the dogs back the dog catcher said I wouldnt even have to pay the fine! I want my babies back but I will give them up for adoption if it means saving thier lives they are wonderfull, sweet, loving, and yes hardheaded determined pit bulls of course. So please help us if you can I take full responsibility for my children but they do dont deserve this at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am the owner of these three vicious dangerious animals. First of all I agree that this is my fault allthough they are a handfull. The three are named Lilly who is the mother of the other two named Adolf and Orson. Lilly is a two years old and the boys just turned a year. I have recently divorced my abusive husband and am now living alone as he was sentanced to prison. Im not tryng to make excuses but I have tried to take steps to keep them from getting loose. I have a 6 foot privacy fence around the whole bak yard and after they figured how to dig out i installed a low voltage electric wire around the bottom. I know that may sound harsh but i also tried chaining them up within the fence and Orson almost hung himself it was awful. Anyways the article states that the dog catcher "fought off 2 others" this is a complete lie the 2 were Adolf and Orson and they were inside the fence when the dog catcher came to get them. Lilly should be name Houdini i still havent figured out how she was getting out short of climing a boat on to a shed, up on the garage and over the fence!? But that day she had climed the chainlink fence surrounding the meter where the meter man had left the gate open that AM. I just wanted to try and explain that I love these dogs like my children i bottle fed the boys and they have never biten anyone and are definately not dangerious unless you can be killed by excessive doggie kisses. The city councel declared them vicious and dangerious without ever seing them and have no animal training whatsoever problem is a couple of the board members actually live on my block its all politics and they have tried to declare specific breads dangerious in 2007 which we know is illegal and the ordinance was repealed. I have appealed thier decision and have an appointment with the mayor on friday if anyone out there can help me we would appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts. I will not let these dogs be put to sleep they do not deserve it I should be punished but if i dont take the dogs back the dog catcher said I wouldnt even have to pay the fine! I want my babies back but I will give them up for adoption if it means saving thier lives they are wonderfull, sweet, loving, and yes hardheaded determined pit bulls of course. So please help us if you can I take full responsibility for my children but they do dont deserve this at all.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions.
Be advised that comments are moderated. Not for views, but for content.
Profanity, personal attacks, and spam within comments will result in your comment being rejected.
I, personally, love Pit Bulls as well as all dogs and most animals.
If your comment differs from my feelings or opinions, I will post it anyway, providing it does not include any of the three exceptions listed above.
Same goes for comments that are in harmony with my opinions.
Thank you for participating.