Sunday, September 19, 2010

Dog Attack

By SaVannah Reading and Dave Hansen, KIMT

A North Iowa woman plans to plead guilty tomorrow to a single charge in a dog attack.
She
 signed the pitbull over to Mason City to be destroyed, after police say it attacked two men late last month.
If what Paige Burgess told police last year is true, the ten year old pitbull Savo had bitten someone before she owned the dog.
When Savo the pitbull attacked John Hanson as he walked up to  this Mason City home last month, Hanson did the best he could to get away.
John Hanson says, “I knew there was nothing I could do he just started to run at me.
Savo latched onto Hanson's arm and tore into his wrist and legs.
A friend distracted the pitbull, but not before he did around 200 stitches worth of damage.
Captain Mike McKelvey sayd, “its not the first time.”
Turns out that is very true.
In mid-August of 2009, Savo's owner Paige Burgess  lived here on North Madison Avenue in Mason City.
Police records suggest that during a gathering hosted by Burgess, Savo grabbed a hold of a man's right arm and then bit him in the left knee.
Burgess received three citations and her vicious dog case went to court.
But it was dismissed.
The reason?
The Mason City, city attorney says his star witness did not show up.
That was a Mason City police officer.
 "It's an misfortunate situation," if that is in fact the case, says Mason City Police Chief Mike Lashbrook.
"Its part of our job to appear in court, there are times when that doesn't happen. It's not a good reflection on the department."
Even if burgess's case had gone to trial last October instead of being dismissed, there is no guarantee on one point.
There is no guarantee she would have been found guilty of harboring a vicious dog.
But if the verdict had been guilty, the dog would have had to have been destroyed last fall.
Which would have prevented Savo from attacking anyone else, including Hanson and his friend.
Hanson says, “I was scared to death I was absolutely scared to death I just saw the blood and saw the one wouldn't on my write and I didn't know if I was going to bleed out or what.
We were unable to reach Paige burgess, Savo's owner, for this story.
But she insisted last month that there is more to the story on how the dogs were able to get out of her apartment.
Under a deal with Mason City's city attorney, the city will drop all of the seven citations police charged her with except one tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Over 90% of the dogs that get loose and kill someone while running loose in the neighborhood are bully dogs.

    Over 60% of the dogs that kill someone on the dog's property are bully dogs.

    Labs swim, bloodhounds track, pointers point, retrievers fetch, greyhounds chase... bully dogs maim and kill. We should ban them just like we've banned tigers and wolves.

    A tiger can be taught to use a litter box... it will purr and be sweet as pie, until suddenly it isn't and the consequences are devastating. The same thing is true of bully dogs. Go to DogsBite.org and read story after story where the silly, loving family bully dog snapped, with little or no provocation, and maimed and killed someone. A person in the USA is killed by a bully dog about every 21 days.

    And don't blame it on bad owners... every breed of dog has bad owners but only the bully dogs are creating such a bloody trail of bodies. And you know what, I don't care if it IS due to bad owners... there are always going to be bad owners. They should not be able to terrorize our neighborhoods with dogs that maim and kill like bully dogs do. Ban any breed type that is responsible for more than 50% of the maimings and killings. If the bad guys switch to another breed, ban that breed too. Ban breeds until no single breed is killing people like that. Excuse me, but there aren't pack after pack of labs roaming around maiming and killing people and livestock like there are bully dogs. Ban them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it's funny that you should mention this, because it's dogsbite.org that inspired me to create this blog.
    After reading the 'story after story' on the site, I came away realizing that the OWNERS of the dogs had, in most cases, the opportunity to stop these attacks before they happened.
    I also found, after reading the stories, that, according to dogsbite.org, less than 1% of Pit Bulls are involved in dog on man and dog on dog attacks.
    It's funny, how in more than 20 years of dealing with Pit Bulls, that none of the dogs that I've owned, fostered or worked with have been involved in any attacks.
    At one point I had 22 Pit Bulls.
    I guess, according to you and dogsbite, that I am lucky to be in one piece, let alone alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an 11 year old Pit. He is the 3rd pit we've had. When I was a kid it was Dobermans everybody was afraind of...again, we had 3. In the 90s people blamed Rotties or Chows for causing problems. If you go back to the 70s, it was German Sheppards. Are any of these breeds or dog types "bad"? No. Out of all the dogs my family or friends have had, only 1 dog has ever been declared dangerous. Any guesses about what kind of dog that was? Not a Pit, Doberman, or any other "dangerous" or even large dog. It as my dad's 7 pound min pin. Why? He bit, of all people, the homeowner's insurance adjuster.

    I have done my research....& written a formal paper citing REAL statistics on dog bites. What percentage of bites nationally by various breeds or phenotypes and the numers on the efficacy of BSL (breed specific legislation) and those numbers coupled with my own experience have shown me that "bully breeds" are no worse than any other breed and are, in many respects, often the best choice for a responsible owner who is prepared to properly care for and train them.

    I can't even imagine how I would have gotten through many things in the past several years without Dillon, my 11 yr old furbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an 11 year old Pit. He is the 3rd pit we've had. When I was a kid it was Dobermans everybody was afraind of...again, we had 3. In the 90s people blamed Rotties or Chows for causing problems. If you go back to the 70s, it was German Sheppards. Are any of these breeds or dog types "bad"? No. Out of all the dogs my family or friends have had, only 1 dog has ever been declared dangerous. Any guesses about what kind of dog that was? Not a Pit, Doberman, or any other "dangerous" or even large dog. It as my dad's 7 pound min pin. Why? He bit, of all people, the homeowner's insurance adjuster.

    I have done my research....& written a formal paper citing REAL statistics on dog bites. What percentage of bites nationally by various breeds or phenotypes and the numers on the efficacy of BSL (breed specific legislation) and those numbers coupled with my own experience have shown me that "bully breeds" are no worse than any other breed and are, in many respects, often the best choice for a responsible owner who is prepared to properly care for and train them.

    I can't even imagine how I would have gotten through many things in the past several years without Dillon, my 11 yr old furbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care what breed a dog is If it attacks someone unprovoked in a public place, it should be destroyed and the owner pay the  the victims medical bills.
    Simple in my mind...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions.
Be advised that comments are moderated. Not for views, but for content.
Profanity, personal attacks, and spam within comments will result in your comment being rejected.
I, personally, love Pit Bulls as well as all dogs and most animals.
If your comment differs from my feelings or opinions, I will post it anyway, providing it does not include any of the three exceptions listed above.
Same goes for comments that are in harmony with my opinions.
Thank you for participating.