Leaving dinner in the oven to slowly cook throughout the day nearly caused a west side home to go up in flames.
When Dacie Matchett-Fink opened the door of her home at 1340 Alexandra St. around 11 a.m. on Tuesday, she was greeted by thick clouds of smoke and her two dogs.
The 19-year-old was able to get the two dogs out of the home, but a third one was still trapped inside, so she immediately called 911.
Fire crews were able to rescue the dog from the home, which suffered some smoke damage from a fire burning inside the oven.
Her father, Devin Fink, was at work when he received the call that his house was full of smoke. He rushed home to find fire trucks surrounding his residence and began to fear the worst.
"I was freaked out. Everything we own is in that house," said Fink, who had put ham in the oven in the morning to cook throughout the day so it would be ready for dinner.
Even though he had yet to see the inside, he felt relieved to see his home was still standing and his pets were unharmed.
"I was expecting worse than that. I was really worried about my dogs," he said.
According to fire department spokeswoman Candace Liskowich, firefighters managed to contain the oven fire before it had a chance to spread throughout the home. The extent of the damage has yet to be determined.
Fink said all the dogs — two Pit bulls and a Chihuahua — appear to be in good health, but he will be taking them to the veterinarian as a precautionary measure.