Thursday, December 9, 2010

How can I keep my Pit from chasing my cats?

I received this email today. What would your advice be?

I have 6 dogs, one is a 2 year old Pit Bull named Baby.  I found her when she was barely 5/6 weeks old.  It looked like someone dropped her off on purpose.  I have Rottie/Lab Mix, Shar Pei/Lab mix, 2 chihuahuas and a mini dachshund. I love them all, they are a great pack especially my pit but one of the chi hates her and she seems to have a very high prey drive.  I have 5 cats all rescues or strays.  Do you have any hints or suggestions about how I can keep my Pit from chasing down the cats.  She is not doing this from aggression, just simple, you run I chase.  They are furry and if they move fast or hiss she wants to play with them.  If they stop moving, she loses interest.  I would never get rid of her no matter what, I would just like to be a better Pit owner and help her overcome her desire to chase the cats.  Even going on 4/5 miles walk/jogs doesn't remove the desire to chase them down.   And she is spayed.

1 comment:

  1. I just came across a link that I believe is an excellent answer to this question : http://www.canismajor.com/dog/dogscats.html

    The only thing I can think of to add is that you must remember that DOGS WILL BE DOGS.
    You can modify the dog's behavior with PROPER training which, like anything, needs constant reinforcement. A dog is not "set it and forget it".
    Therefore, the OWNER must always be aware of the possibility of a dog's regression to instinct and remain vigilantly aware of their dog's surroundings, actions and signals.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and questions.
Be advised that comments are moderated. Not for views, but for content.
Profanity, personal attacks, and spam within comments will result in your comment being rejected.
I, personally, love Pit Bulls as well as all dogs and most animals.
If your comment differs from my feelings or opinions, I will post it anyway, providing it does not include any of the three exceptions listed above.
Same goes for comments that are in harmony with my opinions.
Thank you for participating.