Friday, May 27, 2011

Police kill dog after attack

By Owain Johnston-Barnes, The Royal Gazette

Police fatally shot a dog in North Hamilton today after the animal attacked and injured two members of the public.
According to police, at around 12.38pm, officers had gone with a dog warden in response to a report of animal cruelty.
The suspect, a 19-year-old man, reportedly ran from police, turning the dog, believed to be a pit bull, on the officers.
Officers, assisted by members of the public, were able to stop and arrest the suspect near Angle Street after a chase. The pitbull then attacked two members of the public.
An armed officer on the scene discharged his weapon, killing the animal.
Officers this afternoon blocked off the area while forensic officers photographed the scene of the shooting and removed the animal's body.

Update May 30, 2011 - The following article is by Mikaela Ian Pearman, Bermuda Sun:

Man charged in pit bull attack 

The owner of a pit bull, which was killed by Police on Friday, appeared in Magistrates' Court today charged with wounding with intent.
Jahmeiko Perkins, 19, of Pembroke is accused of wounding Jeffrey Shaw with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm on May 28.
He was also charged with being a person in charge of a dog, a pit bull, which caused injury to a person.
He was not required to enter a plea as the matter is indictable and must be heard in Supreme Court.
Mr Perkins was given $10,000 bail.

Update August 8, 2011 - The following article is by Sirkka Huish, The Royal Gazette:
Detectives probe 19-year-old’s death

The body of teenager Jahmeiko Perkins was found in a roadside ditch just hours after he told his cousin he was “coming right back” to help her celebrate her birthday.
The 19-year-old, who was known as Meiko, was last seen alive at a family birthday party at about 9pm on Friday.
About 12 hours later his “extensively injured” body was found in a ten foot ditch next to Parsons Lane in Devonshire and police are treating the death as suspicious.
A passer-by spotted the lifeless body of Mr Perkins in the secluded wooded area with a bike laying on its side nearby at about 9am on Saturday.
He was just a couple of roads away from the home he shared with his grandparents in Schools Drive in Devonshire.
Detectives from the Serious Crime Unit are now trying to piece together how Mr Perkins died and foul play has not been ruled out.
The body is not believed to have showed any signs of gunshot wounds but there were “obvious injuries” that raised the suspicions of officers. However, the exact cause of death cannot be determined until an autopsy is carried out.
Cousin Jeanann Liburd said Mr Perkins was “his usual self” as he dashed out of her 43rd birthday party at her Pembroke house.
She said: “That was the last time we saw him. I was having a birthday party and he left saying he’d be ‘right back.’
“The party was continuing until about 12 and I thought he’d be straight back. It was very unusual of him not to come back as he said he would.
“He just left, he didn’t say where he was going. We don’t know where he went or who he was with. He just didn’t show up again, that was it”.
Mr Perkins graduated from the Adult Education Centre last year and was said to enjoy hanging out with friends and working out at the gym.
About ten members of his family, including his aunts and cousins, struggled to hold back the tears as they comforted each other in the living room of his home yesterday afternoon.
A graduation photo of Mr Perkins in his cap and gown proudly sat on the coffee table.
Mr Perkins’ mom, who lives overseas, is flying back to the Island today. He also leaves behind a brother and a girlfriend. The family said they were “struggling to come to terms with everything”.
The family suspect Mr Perkins could have been murdered but they said they didn’t understand why as they didn’t know of any enemies.
His grandmother, who wouldn’t give her name, said: “He was very loving grandson, he was a nice person and very helpful. We’re going to miss him so much. He’s going to be greatly missed by all of us”.
Mr Perkins was recently in the news after his pit bull was shot and killed by Police on Angle Street, Pembroke.
An investigation into Mr Perkins’ death is now underway, with police eager to speak to anyone who saw him on Friday or early Saturday morning.
A woman made the grim discovery about 150 metres west of Pure Water as she cycled along the road. She called the police and an on-call physician certified the death at about 10.30am on Saturday.
Mr Perkins was identified on the scene by his tearful grandfather and girlfriend just before the body was taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for an autopsy at about midday.
Up to ten plain-clothed officers, including Detective Chief Inspector Nick Pedro, who heads up the Serious Crime Unit, could be seen combing the road and nearby trees for clues. Officers remained at the scene all day Saturday and yesterday.
Minister of National Security Wayne Perinchief said he would be meeting with Police Commissioner Michael DeSilva to talk about Mr Perkins’ death.
He said: “At this stage I just know there are suspicious circumstances to this death. It’s being investigated as a suspicious death.
“It’s not a straight forward road traffic accident as it may have seemed at first.”
A section of Parsons Lane near its junction with Orange Valley Road remained cordoned off over the weekend with many motorists wanting to buy water being turned away.
The man’s body was found next to a tree with a red wooden cross on it, which marks the spot of a previous fatal road accident. It’s a quiet, wooded area with only a couple of houses nearby.
Nearby residents told The Royal Gazette they were home all evening but did not hear or see anything suspicious.
One woman, who did not want to be named, said: “What is happening to Bermuda? It’s awful to think this has happened right on the doorstep.”
Police would not comment on the extent of Mr Perkins’ injuries but they are expected to hold a press conference today to discuss the autopsy findings.
Police spokesman Dwayne Caines said: “Investigations into this death have commenced, which at the moment is being treated as suspicious.
“However, whilst the exact cause of death is not yet known, members of the Serious Crime Unit are investigating the circumstances of Mr Perkins’ death.
“They are particularly interested in speaking to anyone that may have seen or known about Mr. Perkins whereabouts during the course of Friday, August 5 into the early hours of Saturday, August 6”.
Anyone who saw Mr Perkins or has any information about how he may have died is urged to contact the Serious Crime Unit on 29-50011 or the confidential Crime stoppers hotline on 800-8477.

Related articles:

Teenager charged over pit bull attack - The Royal Gazette

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions.
Be advised that comments are moderated. Not for views, but for content.
Profanity, personal attacks, and spam within comments will result in your comment being rejected.
I, personally, love Pit Bulls as well as all dogs and most animals.
If your comment differs from my feelings or opinions, I will post it anyway, providing it does not include any of the three exceptions listed above.
Same goes for comments that are in harmony with my opinions.
Thank you for participating.