Thursday, June 30, 2011

Man injured, two pets die, in Lakewood house fire

By Kieran Nicholson, The Denver Post

A man was injured and a dog and cat were killed in a house fire Wednesday night in Lakewood.
The injured man, who suffered slight burns, accidentally started the fire while lighting a cigarette after spilling grain alcohol, said Micki Trost, a West Metro Fire Protection District spokeswoman.
"The homeowner, who was in the basement, knocked over alcohol and went to light a match to a cigarette - it flashed," Trost said. "It spread through the basement."
The man who started the fire shouted out to alert four other adults in the home, including a woman who was asleep at the time.
The fire broke out about 9:15 p.m. at 5403 W. Mississippi Ave., Trost said.
The fire spread quickly upstairs into the main level of the ranch home, which was destroyed by the blaze. "When firefighters arrived there were some flames coming from the basement area and heavy smoke," Trost said. There were no working smoke alarms in the home.
A dog named Kicks died in the fire, along with a cat named Hartley. Another dog, named Shelby, was revived by firefighters who used a pet oxygen mask on the animal. A total of four dogs, all pit bulls, were in the home. Two of the dogs were not harmed.
The five adults who have been displaced by the fire are being aided by the American Red Cross.
Forty-five firefighters put out the blaze and crews wrapped up the scene at about 12:55 a.m., Trost said.
No firefighters were injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions.
Be advised that comments are moderated. Not for views, but for content.
Profanity, personal attacks, and spam within comments will result in your comment being rejected.
I, personally, love Pit Bulls as well as all dogs and most animals.
If your comment differs from my feelings or opinions, I will post it anyway, providing it does not include any of the three exceptions listed above.
Same goes for comments that are in harmony with my opinions.
Thank you for participating.