A six-year-old male pitbull tethered behind a house was found stung to death by bees Wednesday.
As of July 1, it is illegal to tether a dog unless you are physically present with the dog. The pitbull's owner, Concepcion Medina, was inside the house at the time of the attack and called 9-1-1 when she heard her dog named Chico, yelping during the attack.
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, Fire-Rescue and Animal Care & Control all responded to the home. Firefighters sprayed the dog down with foam but it was already dead.
Medina was cited for violating the county's tethered dog ordinance. Animal Care & Control gave Medina a $100 ticket. She told authorities the dog was tethered because it had a habit of getting loose and running around the neighborhood, although Animal Care & Control has no records of problems involving the dog.
She has three other dogs she keeps in the house. Medina told authorities she knew about the bees about a week ago but didn't have the money to remove them because she is on disability and her husband is out of work.
Bee remover Tim Barbeck came out Thursday morning to kill the hive for free.